The Collins Lane House


Joseph Rudderow House-


This Indenture Made the 2nd day of August in the year One Thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy two Between Joseph Rudderow of the Township of Chester in the County of Burlington and Western Division of the province of New Jersey and Mary his wife of the one part And Samuel Burrough of the Township of Waterford in the County of Gloucester and Western Division of the province of New Jersey aforesaid yeoman of the other.

The deed goes on to recite will passages from Joseph's father, John Rudderow Jr., the only son of John Rudderow the pioneer.

Out of the original 475 acres, 100 acres had been willed to John Rudderow the pioneer's daughter Hannah, then the wife of William Hollinshead, and the remainder of the land was given to John Rudderow Jr.

In June of 1740, William Hollinshead and Hannah his wife, sold John Rudderow Jr. the 100 acres, so now he had all of his father's original 475 acres.

In June of 1769, John Rudderow Jr. died. He made his son William the executor of his estate and didn't mention his inheritence of land. Joseph he lists first, presumably his oldest son, and it is the only instance of mentioning a house. Samuel he lists next who is given land along the western branch of the Pennsauken Creek, north of Joseph's 125 acres.
(Information from the Will and Inventory on microfilm at the New Jersey State Archives in Trenton, N.J.)

One reasonable guess at the date of the oldest portion of the Collins Lane house (now moved across the street), would be around the year that Joseph Rudderow married his wife Mary. I looked through several marriage indexes at the NJ State Archives, and did not find records for Joseph or Samuel, but found a marriage date for William marrying Abigail Spicer in the mid 1700s. I would presume the older sons were married in Philadelphia, presumably at Christ Church, and that William was proabably married at St. Mary's Episcopal Church, Colestown.

The early Rudderows and Stiles families were not Quakers but of the Church of England. It is interesting to compare Will and Inventory oaths such as "Enoch Roberts and Ephraim Stiles, two of the witnesses of the within will, being of the People called Quakers on their solemn affirmation..." and William Rudderow's "William Rudderow Executor in the above and within Will named being duly sworn on the Holy Evangelists of Almighty God..."

Besides another daughter of John Rudderow, Mary Rudderow Maddox, being buried at Christ Church, here is two records from Asa Matlack Stackhouse's geneaology of the Hollinshead Family. Apparently some of the Hollinshead family weren't Quakers, as Quakers couldn't marry "out of Meeting."



It's not currently known what became of Joseph and Mary Rudderow after selling their plantation and land of 125 acres to Samuel Burrough. The Samuel Rudderow family either stayed on their tract for generations, OR NOT and a later Samuel who lived there was a descendant of William's. A landing was on their land called Poplar Landing. Poplar Landing Road, which led to the landing and later turned and went to Fork Landing is now known as North Forklanding Road.

In the book "Revolutionary Census of New Jersey" by Kenn Stryker- Rodda, Joseph and William are listed as living in Waterford, Gloucester County, and thats it.

So it is one more thing to further research- the Samuel Rudderow family which lived on the "old Samuel Rudderow tract" of brothers Joseph, Samuel, and William, sons of John Rudderow Jr.




1850 Census. Samuel's land was divided between sons Isaac F. and John S.

Isaac F. Rudderow was the oldest son of Samuel Rudderow (need to find out more about) and built a house on Poplar Landing Road across from High Street at the hilltop. His younger brother John S. Rudderow got the old family section house farmstead on what is now Park Avenue in Cinnaminson. A son of Isaac F. Rudderow, Alfred moved to the Italianate styled farmhouse that until recently stood on Mill Road on the Mill Road School grounds. See the Maple Shade Arcadia book for various house photos.

I do not know about the various William Rudderow family members in depth. The Josiah Rudderow house that was most likely the house at Rt. 73 and High Street was sold out of the family into the Slim family. Alot of this area was William's descendants such as Thomas' sons and needs further study by me.

It is interesting that the Rudderow tract of 475 acres started at "Ephraim Stiles lower corner on the Western branch of the Pennsauken Creek." (Later Joseph Rudderow's boundary) This was about where the Steinhauer Park creek runs into the South branch of the Pennsauken Creek.

Further Background- And in case you didn't know it already, John Rudderow the pioneer was educated as a lawyer, came to Philadelphia when there was but one house there, gave in his will money for building a Church nearby which was St. Mary's Episcopal Church, Colestown. He originally wanted to return to England but when Lucy Stiles arrived he changed his mind! He married her. (Robert Stiles Sr.'s sister)



Its not in John Jr's will, or at least spelled out (william seems to be the youngest son and is named as the Executor), but in Joseph Rudderow's to Samuel Burrough's deed, and in this quote from Prowell's "History of Camden County" book, William got the homestead farm along the north branch of the Pennsauken Creek.

A Note on Inheritance-

In two instances above and one below (Samuel Burrough) and proabably another with the Stiles family I notice something. It has been said that "The oldest boy inherits the home farm." Probably if his father dies when the children are all young this could happen. What I note is that the father would set up the oldest boy with a home at the time of his marriage. And sometimes its recorded that the son payed the father back. Then the youngest son usually recieves the homestead as he was the last one there and still there when the father is elderly or dies.

Nathan Perkin's book explains this. Nathan Perkins was related to the "Perkins Memorial" family of Moorestown and like them, he planted evergreen trees in his yard. His farm might have been named Evergreen Terrace, at least the later development was called that. (Now the side is the front facing N. Coles Avenue, Maple Shade.

When a young man Nathan was sent off to a boarding school by his parents. He returned home to his family, and having younger brothers, wound up feeling like half a boy and half a man around them.

He wanted to move out but didn't have his parent's permission. He figured the only way he could move out was to get married. He did and his father bought him the farm. His house is now situated on North Coles Avenue.

After Nathan got established he paid his father back the exact amount of money he had paid for the farm.




Samuel Burrough's Plantation in Chester Township-

Here is some Burrough Family Background- from Prowell's "History of Camden County" book-

Samuel Burrough, a brother of John, was born in 1650, and was the third person of that name to come into Old Gloucester County. He is first noticed at the little town of Pensaukin. On November 16, 1698, he purchased three hundred acres of land from Joseph Heritage in Waterford township.

He first married Hannah Taylor, a daughter of John Taylor, and afterwards married Hannah Roberts, daughter of John and Sarah Roberts, on the 27th day of the Tenth Month, 1699. They had nine children. Samuel, the oldest, was born Ninth Month 28, 1701, and in 1723 married Ann Gray, a daughter of Richard and Joanna Gray.

In 1703 his father purchased the farm of Richard Bromly, containing two hundred acres of land, and it was upon this farm and in the dwelling erected by Richard Bromly, that Samuel Burrough and Ann Gray removed soon after their marriage.

This farm is now owned by Charles Collins (Note- The land was probably passed on to the next generation of that Collins family because later the Collins and Wick farms became the Colwick development.) and the house above mentioned was torn down in 1845.

Samuel and Ann had nine children. Joseph, the fifth child erected the house, in 1761, now owned by Edward Burrough, on part of the Richard Bromly tract adjoining the homestead.

Note- The Alden Park development land in Maple Shade went from Joseph Burrough (son of the above Joseph), to his son Reuben Burrough, to Charles Coles who married Rachael Burrough. Samuel Burrough's old grist mill on the Old Ferry Road to Camden was on the farm, on the Camden County side of the Pennsauken Creek. The farm was now called Coles' Mill Farm.


Samuel Burrough Sr. of Evesham-

Samuel Burrough was the other son of Samuel Burrough who owned the gristmill in Waterford Township (Cherry Hill). He was the brother of Joseph Burrough who inherited his father's house and mill, who was the father of Joseph Burrough, deeder of the Chesterford Schoolhouse lot.

Although Samuel Burrough owned a plantation in Waterford Township, Gloucester County and one in Chester Township, Burlington County, he moved to Evesham.

What does the Collins Lane house have to do with Cropwell Friends Meeting House?

It does not include it in the New Jersey Archives' book of will abstracts, But I went to the New Jersey State Archives in Trenton, and got copies of his and several other wills which are there on microfilm. It is interesting to find Maurice Horner in his book on Evesham township and an old booklet called "Historical Sketch of Cropwell Meeting" note Samuel Burrough as contributing to the Cropwell Meeting house.

In 1793, Samuel Burrough Sr. of Evesham died. In his will he bequeathed a portion of the rents from the Waterford and Chester Township plantations should got to building Cropwell Meeting House. The plantations would be rented for 15 years, from 1793 until August 1808 (200 years ago) when Samuel Burrough Jr, born Aug. 4, 1787, turned 21 years old and inherited them. The will states-

"I give and bequeath out of the Rents of my Plantations in Waterford and Chester the sum of fifty pounds of Gold or Silver money, for the purpose of Building a Meeting House for the Friends at or near Cropwell Schoolhouse, to be paid to the Managers of said Building when wanted or demanded."

Cropwell-
Today when you drive down Route 73 to the Old Marlton Pike to get to the Cropwell Friends Meeting House, where somehwere nearby Samuel Burrough Sr. lived, it seems rather distant and unrelated to our area.

The Marlton area of Evesham is at the beginning of the South branch of the Pennsauken Creek. The South branch of the Pennsauken Creek was also once named Cropwell River (sometimes spelled Crapwell) or Cropwell Creek and the Township of Chester for a short time period was called "Cropwell." This is most likely due to the fact that one of the pioneer settlers of the area was William Matlack who came from Cropwell Bishop, Nottinghamshire, England.

First Titles of Cropwell Meeting House


Thomas Evans (Cropwell Preparative Meeting)
took title in 1853 (Sorry I didn't get full date)
under deed book M-5 page 276
From John Roberts and Joseph Evans of Evesham, surviving trustees of a certain lot of land in Evesham deeded by Samuel Lippincott Sr. in 1805, in trust for use and benefit of Friends of Cropwell Preparative Meeting for a Meeting House, grave yard, and other purposes.
2 acres of land.

*****

Thomas Lippincott and Others
on May 17, 1805
under deed book Q page 251
Declaration of Trust for a Meeting House Lot of Ground.

*****

Thomas Lippincott and Others
took title on May 17, 1805
under deed book Q page 255
Sold by Samuel Lippincott
for the sum of 106 dollars and 67 cents
2 acres of land.

Samuel Lippincott to Thomas Lippincott, John Evans, Joseph Evans, John Roberts, Joshua Haines, farmers. The two former of Evesham and the three latter of Waterford.

Land seized from his father Samuel Lippincott by will March 20, 1769.

I saw alot of Samuel Lippincotts but not coresponding exactly with that date of death in NJ State Archives indexes. Thomas Lippincott, his son, was in charge of the building of the Cropwell Meeting House. Another person who was involved in the planning of this Meeting House was Samuel Burrough who died in 1793.

William Allinson, an executor of the Estate of Samuel Burrough Sr., of Evesham, kept an account book of the rents and improvements for the Waterford and Chester Township plantations, 1793- 1808. The Waterford Plantation was for the most part rented out to Joseph Plum and the Chester Township plantation was rented to Emanuel Beagary.

He states that on Sept. 19, 1806
"To Cash paid to Thomas Lippincott, treasurer to the committee for Building Cropwell Meeting House, in full of a legacy bequeathed by Samuel Burrough in his last will towards the building of a Meeting House at or near Cropwell. $133.33


Several Sources state that the Cropwell Meeting House was built in 1807, which contradicts the plague on its front which says 1809. Where the 1809 date originates can be found in this book, "Historical Sketch of Cropwell Meeting," which you can read online-
http://www.westjerseyhistory.org/books/cropwell/index.shtml

Here is another link. You can read, or download the 100 Anniversary of the Cropwell Meeting House book-
100th Anniversary Cropwell Meeting at Google books


Emanuel Beagary's home

Samuel Burrough Jr. upon turning 21 years of old in 1808, or at least sometimes afterwards moved to the plantation in Waterford Township, which he called in his will "His New house." This house is located on Maple Avenue in Cherry Hill, NJ, on the north side of the street.

Emanuel Beagary continued to live in "the Collins Lane house" for many years. I traced up to the 1813 tax rateables.

In the book "Chester Township" by Clayton Lippincott, it is stated that he was a school teacher. Pay no attention to James Purdy's interpretation of this account. It was in fact "John Brock's house" that Emanuel Beagary lived at.


Can you imagine how this in the chain of events played a part of the building of the Chesterford Schoolhouse?

Kitchen Addition to house-
This could be the back portion of the Collins Lane house minus the attic or second story and attic.

9th Month, 21th, 1795
To Cash allowed Emanuel Begary
out of his 1st & 2nd Yrs. Rent, his %
for Building a new kitchen where he lives,

(From Executor William Allinson's Account book with the Estate of Samuel Burrough of Evesham.)

The 1849 Smith & Wistar map has K. Burrough for the house. Keturah lived in Moorestown with her daughters and son Jehu, but perhaps towards the end she stayed here, or at least the map is acknowledging her ownership.


Three Samuels-

Samuel Burrough Jr. was married twice. His second marriage was to Keturah Haines, the daughter of John Haines.

Samuel Burrough Jr. willed that his plantation in Chester Township would go to his son Jehu from his second marriage to Keturah, when he reached the age of 21 years old. He never did and died at 10 years old and is buried beside his mother at Trinity Episcopal Church in Moorestown. His older brothers Samuel Burrough and Joseph M. Burrough through the first marriage were to divide the plantation in Waterford.

In olden days and some not too far back if you get a nice judge, deeds , or land titles, didn't need to change when the land went to " and to their heirs and assigns forever." The deed to the next owner lists the survivng sons and daughters selling the plantation out of the Burrough family.

The deed starts with Samuel and others. (The standard routine when say a father dies and leaves the house to all the children and the ones Not getting the place are declaring it going from their "part" to the one child who is going to stay there.) In this case the buyer is unrelated. It is interesting that the property was bought from Joseph Rudderow by Samuel Burrough and sold to Benjamin Stiles by Samuel Burrough. It looks like one but it is three Samuels involved, perhaps none of who have ever lived there.

*****
Benjamin Stiles
took title on March 27, 1849
under deed book Z 4 page 25
sold by Samuel Burrough
being the same tract of land which Samuel Burrough and Mary L. Burrough his wife, Joseph M. Burrough and Ann Burrough his wife, Thomas H. Heulings and Sarah S. Heulings his wife, Jon B. Col and Mary H Col his wife and William M. Eayre and Eliza M. Eayre his wife...
*****
Samuel Burrough
of the Township of Waterford, county of Gloucester, and Western Division of the province of New Jersey
took title on August 27, 1772
under deed book Z 4 page 21
sold by Joseph Rudderow
*****



Isaac and Eleanor Stiles Ten Room Mansion-




Isaac Stiles


Eleanor Stiles

Benjamin Stiles most likely purchased this house for his oldest son Isaac. Although he was the title holder for several years he probably didn't live there. I guess when Isaac could, he repayed him for the plantation. Father Benjamin's land would later be divided between his two younger sons Joseph B., and Benjamin J.



1850 Census. Benjamin Stiles home on the Moorestown and Camden Turnpike.




1850 Census. Isaac and Eleanor Stiles lived at the Collins Lane house.




1870 Census. Isaac and Eleanor Stiles' family



Isaac Stiles enjoyed hunting. This is written in a 1928 genealogy research paper done by his decendants, as well as evidenced by the 1873 tax rateables for having so many dogs. Another more noteworthy mention is that this was a Stiles farm during the period that Maple Shade was known as "Stiles Corners" due to the numerous Stiles farms about this section of the Moorestown and Camden Turnpike toll gate.




John Brock Farm (nothing currently researched)




Collins Orchard-


The Collins Lane farm house was owned by John S. Collins after the Brock family. Fruit tree orchards were grown there as one of the J.S. Collins owned farms of the area. Apple trees at this farm to be specific. I didn't think it had to be said but, John S. Collins never lived there. After living at the Pleasant Valley farm, he moved to Central Avenue moorestown.


Here are some links and informations about John S. Collins building Miami Beach, Florida-

http://www.miamibeach411.com/History/bio_collins.htm

That transcript was part of a PBS Special-
from Mr. Miami Beach

The "Collins Tract" housing development which is in Pennsauken was Collins blackberries.

John S. Collins and family-

The Collins Family were Quaker Colonists to NJ, stemming from settler Francis Collins.

John S. Collins was born to Isaac and Sarah (Stratton) Collins on December 29, 1837 in Moorestown, NJ. They were Quakers. He married (first) Rachel A. Rogers who died, then married (second) Ida K. Horner. The children of John S. Collins and Rachel A. (Rogers) were
1. Mary S., 2. Catherine, who married Thomas Pancoast, 3. Arthur J., 4. Irving, 5. Sarah, and 6. Lester.

After completing his education John S. Collins became associated with his father in cultivating the homestead farm. In 1860 he established a nursery, and fruit tree orchards, on the home farm called the Pleasant Valley Farm, which was continued by his son Arthur and grandson Arthur.

From the 1929 book "Moorestown And Her Neighbors" by George DeCou- The Collins’ Nurseries (A. J. Collins and Sons) on Pleasant Valley Avenue, which are the largest nurseries in this section of the State, were established in 1860 by John S. Collins, father and grandfather of the present owners. The Samuel C. DeCou Nursery on Pleasant Valley Avenue, now part of the Collins’ Nurseries, was established by Thomas C. Andrews, father of Clayton Andrews of Moorestown about 1862.

Part of the J.S. Collins Pleasant Valley Farm was donated or sold to the Strawbridge Lake Park project. A remaining part was later developed by Blase Ravikio as the housing development of "Collins Park."

John S. Collins founded the New Jersey Horticultural Society, and was widely known for cultivating the Kieffer pear and the Wilson blackberry. He bought an eighty acre tract of land in Merchantville, now in a part Pennsauken Twp., and raised blackberries on it. When it was later on developed with houses it became known as the "Collins Tract."

About 15 years later he bought the Amos Stiles farm of about 100 acres in Moorestown, (The land area including West Central Avenue located west of Chester Avenue. Actually Joseph T. Sullivan bought it.)

The land of the Amos Stiles farm in Moorestown, would be co-owned by John S. Collins, Joseph T. Sullivan and Andrew F. Aitken to develop the Central Avenue area with upscale housing, details including the setting back of homes a minimal of 40 feet from the street and houses to be built with a specified high quality. Also plots were owned by John S. Rogers, a cousin to John S. Collins. John S. Rogers put in the Beech Street row homes for laborers, then being mostly of Irish descent, but later the street would become an African American neighborhood.

John S. Collins erected a coal and lumber yard and hardware store on it. As time past he would have branches of the lumber, coal, and feed stores in five different towns in New Jersey. Maple Shade's opened in 1917 on North Forklanding Road near the railroad tracks. His son Irving Collins controlled the lumber business' under the name of John S. Collins And Son.

The J.S. Collins & Son Lumber and Coal yard in Moorestown had a lumber mill, feed mill, hardware store, and sold farm implements. Despite the mills (the feed mill being in the multi story rear brick section) Mill Street did not get its name from it, but rather had the name already since the mid 1800s due to a steam powered mill that was between Main Street and Second Street, the building now used by Albert Ellis Plumbing and Heating. The "Locust Farm" milk bottler came between 1911 and 1913 to Mill St. and 3rd St. which was owned by the Ed Forsythe family.

In 1896, John S. Collins bought the "Collins Lane house" farm located on North Forklanding Road, Maple Shade. This was a 125 acre plantation previously owned by the following- Joseph Rudderow, Samuel Burrough (3 of), Isaac Stiles, and John Brock. John S. Collins grew apple orchards on it. It was then owned by John's son Lester Collins who expanded the orchards on nearby farmlands.

The Isaac Stiles house was turned into two tenant farmer homes probably by John S. Collins or son Lester Collins. Lester owned many farms such as the Pancoast farm in Moorestown and others and in the 1940s various losses of these show his financing by the Burlington County Trust Company. Lester was one of the largest fruit growers in Burlington County. He with several Roberts' and the Haines' grew Winesap apples. In July of 1938 Lester Collins was elected President of the State Board of Agriculture.

John S. Collins went to Miami, Florida in the 1890s to grow advacado groves. It wound up that he developed Miami Beach into a resort! Carl Fisher built the bridge to it. John S. Collins would have two homes in his latter years, one in Miami Beach, Florida and one in Moorestown, New Jersey. The Pancoast family related to him by marriage to his daughter went to Miami to live with him there.

Maple Shade was much influenced by John S. Collins by the orchards here that he owned and later most of the 1920s building boom builders I would be sure got their lumber from his yard on Forklanding Road. When the town still had its rural country ways resident "farmers" got their chickens from there and had chicken houses in their backyards. How country our locals would feel bringing eggs to their co-workers in Philly!

The source of some of the above information is from-
"South Jersey A History 1664- 1924," Volume 3 or 4, published by the Alfred M. Heston Lewis Historical Publishing Co.



Lester Collins, a son of John S. Collins grew apples there.


Most of the land went to Maple Park Manor in July of 1950.




Chain of Title-

44 Collins Lane-


Mr. Griffith who lives there now bought it from the Santore family.

*****

William Santore and Virginia Santore his wife
took title on April 22, 1954
under deed book 1186 page 207
sold from Leon Santore and William Santore
for the sum of one dollar
Tracts 1-4 listed (not all in the area either)
Tract 3 is lots of Maple Park Manor development

*****

William Santore
took title on June 16, 1944
under deed book 974 page 202
sold by Ezra J. Olt and Helen R. Olt his wife.

*****

Ezra J. Olt
took title on June 19, 1939
under deed book 904 page 202
sold by the Burlington County Trust Company
a Trustee under last will and testament of Rudolph F. Stecher
Land from North Forklanding and Woodlawn Ave. to lane now Collins Lane.

*****

57 Collins Lane-


The Township of Maple Shade
took title on July 12, 2004
under deed book 6189 page 353
sold by Alexander J. Gabris and Anthony M. Gabris, joint tenants

*****

Jean and Alexander J. Gabris, her husband
took title in August 1971
under deed book 1773 page 654
Jean Gabris in trust for Denise Gabris

*****

Jean Gabris of West Collingswood Heights
took title on August 5, 1971
under deed book 1773 page 216
sold by Artemesia Pazenza, widow, of Maple Shade

*****

Joseph Pazenza and Artemesia Pazenza, his wife, of Wolf St., Philadelphia
took title on October 1, 1946
under deed book 1014 page 420
sold by Severino Giardinelli and Lavinio Giardinelli, his wife of Philadelphia
containing 3 acres of land more or less.

*****

Severino Giardinelli and Lavinio Giardinelli, his wife
took title on July 22, 1942
under deed book 949 page 418
sold by the Burlington County Trust Company
a Trustee under last will and testament of Rudolph F. Stecher
for the sum of $1550. to land commonly known as the Wagner Farm
Being part of the same land and premises which Lester Collins and Anne A. Collins, his wife...

*****

Collins Lane house land undivided, House was divided earlier to make separate tenant farmer homes.


Burlington County Trust Co.
took title on June 1, 1939
under deed book 903 page 440
from Lester Collins under last will and testament of Rudolph F. Stecher.

TRACT #1- from Lydia B. M. Stickler (Mecrays) Dec. 1913 deed book 502 page 298, and from George Jacob Strable April 1914, deed book 503 page 84.

TRACT #2- Land surveyed in 1875 containing 129 acres of land more or less
Being the same land and premises conveyed to Lester Collins from John S. Collins by two deeds, one from Nov. 1912, deed book 497 page 307 which conveyed an undivided one-third interest, and the other deed book 497 page 309 which deed conveyed a two-thirds interest.

Exempting two tracts from Lester Collins to the Township of Chester, both being dated January 28, 1927, Tract #1, deed book 691 page 184, and Tract #2 deed book 691 page 187

*****




The 1920 Tax Rateable shows three farmhouses called "Collins Orchard."

Lester Collins
took title on November 18, 1912
under deed book 497 page 309
sold by John S. Collins and Rachel A. Collins his wife of Moorestown, Chester Township.
"a certain tract farm or parcel of land situate in the township of Chester in the county of Burlington and state of New Jersey and by a survey November A.D. 1875 is bounded as follows,
Beginning at a corner of John Rudderow's land in the southeasterly branch of Pensauken Creek fifty seven links from a stone in the banks of said branch and in the line of said Rudderow's land and part by Isaac Rudderow's land passing over said stone North sixty three degrees and thirty eight minutes east thirty three chains and thirty five links to a large dead Black oak on the westerly side of the Poplar Landing road corner to Henry Van Vane's land thence along said road crossing it obliguely South twenty six degrees and fifty five minutes east.... etc.... to H.C. Patterson's land and Nathan H. Perkins land."
containing 129 acres.

(Note- There is no deed recital section. However several pages after, which is a separate deed, probably page 499, is a deed which is a restatement that the two tracts are now one tract and this gives a deed recital deed book 332, page 84. This is a mistake and should be book 322, page 84. So here we see two possible roadblocks to tracing title chains.)


*****

John S. Collins
took title on March 25, 1896
from John Brock, and Caroline D. Brock, his wife
under deed book 322, page 84
For the sum of thirteen thousand and five hundred dollars.
Containing 129 acres of land.

*****

John Brock
took title on March 20, 1876
under deed book G 9 page 273
sold by Isaac Collins, Thomas Wilson, and Joseph B. Stiles commissioners.
There is a few paragraphs about "Orphans Court" and a note that Isaac Stiles died.
129 acres costing 90 dollars per acre.

*****

Isaac Stiles
took title on June 13, 1857
under deed book C 6 page 191
sold by Benjamin Stiles and Martha Stiles his wife
for the sum of 3500 dollars.

*****

Benjamin Stiles
took title on March 27, 1849
under deed book Z 4 page 25
sold by Samuel Burrough
being the same tract of land which Samuel Burrough and Mary L. Burrough his wife, Joseph M. Burrough and Ann Burrough his wife, Thomas H. Heulings and Sarah S. Heulings his wife, Jon B. Col and Mary H Col his wife and William M. Eayre and Eliza M. Eayre his wife...

*****

Samuel Burrough
of the Township of Waterford, county of Gloucester, and Western Division of the province of New Jersey
took title on August 27, 1772
under deed book Z 4 page 21
sold by Joseph Rudderow
of the Township of Chester, county of Burlington, and Western Division of the province of New Jersey, and Mary his wife.
125 acres for the sum of 560 pounds lawful money.

*****

Passed by wills with most of the land staying undivided from 1684. Pioneer John Rudderow to son John Rudderow Jr. to son Joseph Rudderow's inheritance was 125 acres from Ephraim Stiles "lower corner" on the western branch of the Pennsauken Creek to brother Samuel's land along the same branch of the Pennsauken Creek.

*****


Home