Deed History of the BARLOW MANSION

It was first the mansion home of Thomas J.S. Barlow Jr.
It is sad that he lost the house in the early 1930s after the Stock Market Crash of 1929 and the coming of the Great Depression. It was built in 1916 as a wedding present to his wife. The entire right side containing the second 3 porch archs was not original but added by 1926.


*****

Since 1967 the land is the "Villa Capri" Housing Development
of ranchers and split level type homes.

Lot 170/1.01
(A house on Mill Road between Spruce and Maple Avenues. The Street address number is witheld here for the current owner's privacy)
John W. Zoog, Jr, and Nancy Zoog, his wife
took title July 13, 1973
under deed book 1851 page 275
sold by Raymond T. Burke, and Margaret J. Burke, his wife
Lot size 48-50 x 125
For the cost of $26,500.

*****
Raymond T. Burke, and Margaret J. Burke, his wife
took title November 10, 1967, and recorded on November 14, 1967
under deed book 1656 page 117
sold by Flake Vogdes Co., a New Jersey Corporation
For the sum of One Dollar (maybe a filing charge or something?)

Now being known as Lot 1A, Block 170,
Plan of Villa Capri filed September 26, 1966. Map #0517
Being also known as (OMITTED) Mill Road

*****
Flake- Vogdes Co., of 4 West Main Street, Maple Shade, NJ
took title December 1, 1965
under deed book 1604 page 422
sold by Masso Inc. a New Jersey Corporation
(Some names listed are- Rudolph Masso, Anthony Masso)

The property consisted of four tracts
Tract 1- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 2- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 3- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 4- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
These tracts covered the area along Mill Road from Spruce Ave. (formerly Harned Road) to Maple Ave. (formerly Fairview Road) These being lots 11, 12, 17, and 16 on the Plan of Maple Heights Farms.

*****

The Villa Capri Cocktail Lounge opened about Sept. in 1960
and was destroyed by a fire on Jan. 24, 1963.



Masso Corporation
took title July 26, 1960
under deed book 1456 page 572
sold by John Czyzewski and Bertha Czyzewski, his wife

The property consisted of four tracts
Tract 1- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 2- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 3- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 4- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
These tracts covered the area along Mill Road from Spruce Ave. (formerly Harned Road) to Maple Ave. (formerly Fairview Road) These being lots 11, 12, 17, and 16 on the Plan of Maple Heights Farms.

*****

Bert's Tavern formally opened August 31, 1949
and by mid 1950 had changed its name to Bert's Old Mansion.


The Bar was in the basement and more formal areas such as reception halls were upstairs. Its name is from Bertha Cyzewski. Someone told me they were originally from the Port Richmond section of Philadelphia, where they owned a restaurant previously, and that it was there Bert learned how to make those great crab cakes.


*****
John Czyzewski of Maple Shade
took title December 31, 1949. Recorded April 4, 1950
under deed book 1077 page 478
sold by Robert A. Kennedy, and Edith H. Kennedy, his wife, of Moorestown
For the sum of $28,500.

The property consisted of four tracts
Tract 1- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 2- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 3- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 4- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
These tracts covered the area along Mill Road from Spruce Ave. (formerly Harned Road) to Maple Ave. (formerly Fairview Road) These being lots 11, 12, 17, and 16 on the Plan of Maple Heights Farms.

*****

The Alhambra opened April 30, 1948.



Robert A. Kennedy of 14 West Second Street, Moorestown
took title October 15, 1946, and recorded on November 13, 1946
under deed book 1013 page 495
sold by Township of Maple Shade
Edwin F. D'Ancona, Chairman

The property consisted of four tracts
Tract 1- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 2- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 3- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 4- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
These tracts covered the area along Mill Road from Spruce Ave. (formerly Harned Road) to Maple Ave. (formerly Fairview Road) These being lots 11, 12, 17, and 16 on the Plan of Maple Heights Farms.
*****

"Roadhouse", Chester Township owned, Used by Maple Shade Democratic Club,
then probably sat empty again.


From the Maple Shade Progress August 22, 1935-

Barlow's Mansion On Mill Road Has Interesting History;
Now, Used By Powerful Democratic Political Organization



Photo courtesy of the Maple Shade Historical Society.
The newspaper photo which is the same is too dark to make out.

Pictured above is Barlow's Mansion, located on Mill road at Spruce avenue, which is now used by the Maple Shade Democratic Club as their headquarters. It is here that the local Democrats stage picnics, parties and meetings. The photo shows the mansion as it appeared before the addition was built on the west side with large lawns on all four sides. This building is the old homestead of Thomas J.S. Barlow Jr., son of Maple Shade's biggest real estate developer.

The building has been used as a roadhouse and was padlocked during Prohibition days. Laws prohibit it from being used for that purpose now. Lately it is said, Chester Township has aquired the property for back taxes and has given permission to the Maple Shade Democratic Club to use it. The property has an interesting history and is a relic of Maple Shade's building boom over a decade ago. This building and the Barlow Building at Main Street and Forklanding road are a burden to the township, due to back taxes. Both can be purchased reasonably.



*****

The Township of Chester owned it, seized for unpaid taxes.

Township of Chester
took title by Court of Chancery of N.J. Dec. 7, 1936
under deed book 863 page 370
Chester- Complainant
First Defendant- Lenola Realty Company
Final Decree Court of Howard R. Yocum
(In 1932 it was seized for delinquent taxes, then in 1936 came the sheriff's sale.)

The property consisted of four tracts
Tract 1- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 2- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 3- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
Tract 4- 208.71 feet x 208.71 feet
These tracts covered the area along Mill Road from Spruce Ave. (formerly Harned Road) to Maple Ave. (formerly Fairview Road) These being lots 11, 12, 17, and 16 on the Plan of Maple Heights Farms.

(Noted in book is- At a general election held November 6, 1945, the name of the Township of Chester in the County of Burlington was changed to the Township of Maple Shade.)

List of Defendants-
Lenola Realty Company, Burlington County Trust Company, Maple Shade Democrat Club Inc., and Young Democratic Club of Chester Township

First complaint April 26, 1932. Second complaint June 2, 1932. Etc...
Owed moneys from Defendants-
1. $8,728.92
2. $2,317.65
3. $2,792.80
4. $3,742.93
together with interest and taxes.
This cause being opened to the court by Howard R. Yocum solicitor for the complaintant. final degree filed Dec. 8, 1936.
There are several mentions of tax sale and to see Mortgage Book 295, page 34.
There is no deed recital listed but the land was purchased from John Harned who owned the "Maple Heights Farms" subdivision.

*****

From 1916- about 1932 it was the Barlow Mansion
and was always secondarly referred to as that.

Mortgage Book 295 page 34
April 26, 1932
Land sold at a public sale of real estate for deliquent taxes made at Maple Shade. First Defendant Lenola Realty.
T.J.S. Barlow Jr. as owner for the years 1928- 1929.
(The above unpaid taxes are just from 1928- 1929 and would only indicate ownership for those specified years. he owned it previously to that as well.)


It is reported that sometimes for years it was abandoned and kids would get inside it and explore the basement and the large fireplaces etc...




Barlow & Co. and C. Frederick Vogdes Real Estate-

The Barlows also lost the house on Holly and Main Streets (now Inglesby Givinish Funeral Home) consisting of 3 lots and another house on Holly Ave. consisting of 2 lots for unpaid taxes in 1933 . They also lost the Barlow Building.

Barlows made a modest comeback, and Vogdes continued into the early 70s-

From the Maple Shade Progress I believe 1935-
BARLOW OPENS OFFICE
Fred A. Barlow, one of Maple Shade's old realtors, has been given a realtor's license after having had his permit taken from him several years ago. Fred Barlow has just opened a new office at 107 east Main Street in Frank Peer's building. He is operating under the name of Barlow & Co.

Vogdes and the "Plan of Villa Capri"-

C. Fred Vogdes Real Estate started in the mid 1930s and later rented space in the Barlow Building. This is the same Vogdes as in the Flake- Vogdes who in 1965- 67 built the development of Villa Capri where the Barlow Mansion once stood and decades later burned down then being the Villa Capri Cocktail Lounge.

He originally was a member of "Barlow & Company" He was the son-in-law to Thomas JS Barlow Sr., having married his daughter, Agnes.

Charles Fred Vogdes Sr.'s son, Tom Vogdes developed the Villa Capri homes after the Villa Capri burned down, and he left the cement pillar driveway markers in memorial. They remained on the front lawns of several homes for many years.

Any other builder might have just knocked down the cement "driveway pillars", that once marked the 2 entrances of the large circular driveway of the mansion. You know it was out of respect they were not only left- but the various new homes actually have their lots marked from where they stood.


Home